Bethel’s second-oldest structure is slated for demolition within the next 30 days. Known as the Daniel Hickok house, the structure at 13 Blackman Avenue has been uninhabited and in disrepair since back-to-back fires gutted the structure in December 2014.
The Hickok house is believed to have played a minor role in the Revolutionary War. On April 25, 1777, British forces landed at Compo Beach (today’s Westport) and began marching toward Danbury, designated by George Washington as a supply depot for the Continental Army. Early the next day, Generals Benedict Arnold, Gold Selleck Silliman, and David Wooster gathered their forces and pursued the British invaders.as far as Bethel, where they spent the night. By that time Hickok had risen to the rank of Army captain, so historians have hypothesized that the three generals met in Hickok’s home to strategize their plan of attack on the British.
According to Beth Cavagna, Town Planner and head of Bethel’s Land Use Department, the current owners of the Hickok House plan to build a replica of the original structure. It will be a long-anticipated improvement for our downtown district and an important reminder of Bethel’s place in colonial history.
If the Hickok House is Bethel’s second oldest structure, are you curious to know what the oldest building is? Believe it or not, it’s the current location of Gentle Dental on Grassy Plain Road.